Friday, July 19, 2013

The "Sunday School" Answer

        "How do you live the Gospel of Jesus Christ in your every day life?".... This reluctant group of missionaries was quiet for a moment while they contemplated their potential answers to their teachers question. Almost like a group of school children standing at the edge of a frozen pond unsure of whether the ice is thick enough. Eventually a confident elder raises his hand and makes a comment. He says, "I try to live the gospel of Jesus Christ by studying my scriptures daily"  "Thank you Elder", the teacher responds. Just as if one brave child had ventured out on to the ice, skated around a little, and  then exclaimed "Its safe come on out!" more hands shoot up. The missionaries begin to make comments similar to the first elders, they add things such as going to church and praying. After a few more moments of participation the teacher moves on in the lesson. In the moment it seems like the class is energized, interactive, and learning together; but in retrospect, did the missionaries' answers demonstrate an understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?  
        I have been thinking recently about how to help Elders and Sisters dig deeper and have real learning experiences as a result of class room discussion. One of the conclusions I have made is that we need to facilitate a change in classroom environment in order for this to happen.
       One day I was talking with Lisanne about this idea and she gave me some interesting ideas to consider. She taught me that people are trained to behave a specific way when they are in a classroom environment. This "public school mentality" as she described it is formed from our very first days of kindergarten through our entire public school experience. At the root of this mentality is the desire to please the teacher, or impress peers. Although the MTC is a place of powerful spiritual learning, the desks, marker board, and pattern of our teaching can engender this dangerous mentality. While missionaries are approaching questions from this perspective I have observed that the original question is significantly less important than the first response. Like the children on the ice, missionaries wait for someone to "step out", not because they aren't formulating their own answers to the question but because they are waiting to see if they're potential responses are "safe". I fear that missionaries may stop thinking critically about the question, and start listing responses patterned after the original response, out of a sincere desire to contribute in a safe way, a way that will receive their teachers accolades.
       I am not writing to say that there is any one answer to this problem, or to share applications that I have observed that may help change this mentality. However I feel that in order to facilitate more meaningful discussion in our classrooms there needs to be a change of environment. Perhaps there needs to be less discussion overall? Its hard to say, but I sincerely feel that missionaries need to approach classroom discussion asking "What does God understand about this topic that he would like me to know?"
                     

2 comments:

  1. This is a great insight. Teaching in junior highs and high schools, I have also seen this 'public school mentality' trend where students want to make sure their answers are safe. Although I feel that students want to impress the teacher or peers, I feel like many students don't contribute or dig deeper because they don't have the time to formulate their thoughts. President Packer, in "Teach Ye Diligently" invites teachers to give students time to think before they share. Students/ missionaries need to be given time to contemplate before responding. Doing so will allow missionaries to give what I like to call 'crock-pot' answers instead of 'microwave' answers. Their answers will be more thought out and developed instead of the first thing that pops into their mind. A helpful application based formula I like to use is: -Think, -Pair, -Share. Give missionaries an opportunity to think about the question. Pair them up with their companion to share what they have learned, and then discuss the question as a district. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree, I have seen the "public school mentality" in classroom discussions. Even I, when being instructed and asked questions, take to this approach because it is a segue into the "deeper" thoughts of my mind and heart. However, when I have seen the breakdown of this, it usually is because the teacher breaks down the barriers between being "taught" and helping learn. When students feel they're being taught, they usually sit down, shut up, and listen - sometimes. Maybe they'll nod off. However, when students feel they're learning, they sit up and forward in their desks, they're eager to answer questions and give feedback, and willing to apply and change accordingly. Perhaps we can do a better job of helping our missionaries learn by asking more inspired questions, listening, discerning, and creating an atmosphere where the Spirit can teach. I like Andrew's comment about "microwave" and "crock-pot" responses. I do believe that the more effort we make to helping our missionaries learn rather than teach them we will find a most delicious, moist, and fall apart tender roast on our teaching table.

    ReplyDelete