I have done a great deal of observation in the past few weeks and months. I have frequently observed that the part of the lesson that is arguably most crucial is the part of the lesson that is given the least amount of attention in our preparation. I am referring to the practices. I have been guilty of this on numerous occasions, and it's amazing/alarming how much I have learned about myself through observation. I have been guilty of planning my speech or my innovative/catchy way of introducing the lesson while neglecting to give adequate thought and preparation to how the missionaries practices will be structure and geared towards powerful experience and fulfillment of the objective.
I feel that there are a couple major reaons for which we fall into this trap. One, we don't trust the missionaries enough to let them learn on their own, or two, we trust ourselves excessively in believing that we can transfer our understanding to the missionaries.
I think these are to be overcome by trusting our Father to teach His missionaries, and handing them over to Him in their studies and practices. I think it comes by being humble enough to let the missionaries learn from the Master Teacher, instead of ourselves. I think it comes as we study and trust the curriculum and follow it closely, without being confined to it. The curriculum is designed to put learning into the missionaries' hands. As we prepare for the missionaries' learning, as opposed to preparing solely for our teaching, we will more carefully and deliberately structure their practices and studies to be the most crucial part of class.
I love this work!
CJ Bacon
I can completely see this happening in my own teaching. I like to feel like I am in control of what my district is experiencing and it hard to stand back and let them learn from a better source. Last night I focused more on their practice and changed it to help fit their needs. The role I took was opposite from what I've previously been doing and the experience they had and I had was so much more powerful! The spirit was there and their testimonies were strengthened... and it had absolutely nothing to do with what I did... but everything to do with how they followed and taught by the Spirit.
ReplyDeleteI have noticed this trend recently as well. I admire how you were able to discover where it originates from, the lack of trust we have in the missionaries and the overconfidence we have in ourselves. As I was pondering how to correct this, my studies lead me to Proverbs 3:5 "TRUST in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine OWN UNDERSTANDING." Within the classroom, I feel that we can develop and show our trust to the Lord by effectively establishing the objective of each lesson and then turning it over to the missionaries for them to run with. By doing this, the missionaries have a vision of what can occur as they use their agency to learn for themselves. When the objective is clear it then becomes the opportunity of the missionaries to rise to the challenge in their studies and practices and for us to step out of the way so that the Spirit can teach. Instead of trying to drive and push our own experience, the Spirit leads each missionary to discover truths for themselves. This is why it is so important that we use minimal time in explaining the objective and the majority of the time be used for the missionaries in their own studies and practices. I am committing myself to spend more prep time on the studies and practices of the missionaries rather than my explanation portion of the lesson.
ReplyDelete