Friday, May 31, 2013
Allowing Learning to Take Place
Over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking a lot about teaching in such a way that true learning takes place. Through study, discussion, observation and practice, I feel like I've learned a few principles about helping others learn (learner enabling). Here they are! These thoughts aren't complete yet, and I appreciate any input so that I can better understand this.
Principles of Learner Enabling
*Understanding what you teach: One thing I've noticed about teachers who I have perceived to be learner enabling is that they have a great understanding of what they teach. They have treasured up the word and know it well. The doctrine is understood both in their head and in their heart. They learn often from their missionaries and from the Spirit.
*Faith in what you teach: Learner-enabling teachers have a great faith in what they're teaching, including the doctrine, the curriculum, the training model (explain, demonstrate, practice, evaluate, re-practice), etc. These teachers, for example (the following is an application), leave adequate time for solid practices.
*Faith in God: These teachers of course have a great faith that the Spirit is the teacher, that it will confirm truth to the learner's heart.
*Faith in the people you're teaching: Teachers who allow learning to take place have a great faith in the people they teach. They treat them as agents, not as objects. They allow their students to exercise their agency. These teachers also learn much from their interactions with their missionaries. They have faith that their missionaries are capable of being taught by the Spirit.
Any additional thoughts? I want to be better at learner-enabling. If you have any additional principles of being a learner enabler that would be great!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really love what you have posted. I am learning the same thing as I have had the opportunity to come observe as a ZR and help out in other peoples classes. Conversion most often takes place in practices when they get to feel the power behind what is being taught. I struggle to give them adequate time practicing because I don't put enough faith in their practices. With my last district I have tried a lot harder to give them more practice time and I have seen a big difference in PI.
ReplyDeleteI would just like to add one thought...I feel it is so important to understand how God has worked with them outside of class. When I take time to follow up with them and their progress spirit is able to guide the shift through the missionaries. In these moments I do much less talking and the spirit teaches all. It is challenging to work with 12 different missionaries who are all on different levels of spirituality. But, the more we let the spirit guide, more learning takes place.
I appreciate this so much! To add to his, I have realized that learning-enabling teachers can also recognize what their missionaries don' know or don't understand yet. They don't just assume their learners understand everything they have taught and can perceive the gaps of knowledge in those they teach. They set up practices that will allow those gaps to be filled instead of just trying to place the same fluff as the last time in those holes.
ReplyDeleteI've also realized that just because you taught something that, by your standards, seemed clear doesn't mean they understood it. Nor does it mean that if they understood it they're going to apply it perfectly. Learner enablers persistenly invite learners to act on what they are receiving from heaven--over and over and over again...
Overall, I believe that we become more learning-enabling as we understand more deeply how difficult the learning process can be and as we become more patient and consistent in our efforts as HELPERS, recognizing that progress and application of truth takes time! (A life time in fact)
I've really been trying to focus more and more on facillitating rather than dispensing. I watched a coaching video in MediaPortal and I saw a lot of good things that I feel encourage learner enabling. I've realized that coaching is veery different than what I initially thought it was. I really try to keep them on the right track with inspired questions and directing them to their resources as opposed to trying to show them the way they need to go. In practical application, I've found it effective to have them discuss the questions I ask with each other as opposed to answering me back directly. This is something I had done teaching the whole class but not in a coaching situation with two missionaries. I feel this prevents them from constantly turning to the teacher for direction. I know it's an application, but I feel that it is based in the doctrine of agency. Lecturing can so often limit a person's agency, preventing them from making inspired learning decisions that will stick with them through out their missions and their entire lives.
ReplyDelete